Tempe was named after the mansion on the southern banks of the Cooks River in the area that is now known as Wolli Creek. Alexander Brodie Spark(1792–1856), an immigrant from Elgin,Scotland, built Tempe House in 1836. It was named after the ‘Vale of Tempe’, a beautiful valley set at the foot of Mount Olympusin Greece, which was prominent in ancient Greek legend. Tempe House, designed byJohn Verge (1772–1861), has a Georgian feel and is regarded as one of the great houses of Sydney. Spark also donated money towards the purchase of land and the building of St Peter’s Church of England, which gave its name to the suburb of St Peters, to the north of Tempe.
Mr WordPress on Hello world!